Saturday, May 5, 2007

Assessment

OK, it's not the most exciting topic in the world, but assessment is a key part of any educational program. In addition to qualitative feedback from students, Champlain has been using a simple twelve question assessment questionnaire to provide quantitative data. Both our international and American students were encouraged to answer the questions. The questionnaire is broken into thirds. The first four focus on the Content Experience, the middle four deal with the Group Experience, and the final four relate to the Cultural Experience. The following results are our latest and were gathered during our spring 2007 semester that ended in April. In every question the students overwhelmingly Strongly Agreed or Agreed with the statements. Even though we continue to brainstorm ways to improve the experience, the feedback that we are getting back from students makes us optimistic that we are on the right track.


Global Module Assessment
Spring Semester 2007


1. I feel that I now know more factual information about the topic we covered than I did before participating in this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 39.4%
Agree – 55.3%
Disagree – 5.3%
2. I am now aware of a greater number of perspectives on the topic we covered than I was before participating in this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 60.5%
Agree – 39.5%
3. I believe that I will be better able to evaluate media representation of this topic and to contribute more effectively to a classroom or social discussion about this topic because of my participation in this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 36.8%
Agree – 55.3%
Disagree – 7.9%
4. I will probably try to find out more about the cultures that I encountered during this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 35.1%
Agree – 54.1%
Disagree – 10.8%
5. The introduction (getting to know you) activities we did enabled me to feel comfortable with my group by the time work on the actual project began.
Strongly Agree – 52.6%
Agree – 36.8%
Disagree – 10.6%
6. The technology provided made it easy to communicate my thoughts and ideas to the other members of my group.
Strongly Agree – 62.2%
Agree – 35.1%
Disagree – 2.7%
7. Group members from both locations actively contributed to our project in a productive manner.
Strongly Agree – 36.8%
Agree – 44.7%
Disagree – 18.5%
8. I believe that I will be a better group member in other classes or on future projects because of my experiences during this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 37.8%
Agree – 56.8%
Disagree - 5.4%
9. I now feel more comfortable when others don’t agree with my opinions or perspectives.
Strongly Agree – 24.3%
Agree – 59.5%
Disagree – 8.1%
Strongly Disagree – 8.1%
10. I believe that I will be more tolerant when others have trouble accepting or understanding my view on a particular topic.
Strongly Agree – 37.8%
Agree – 59.5%
Disagree – 2.7%
11. I feel more comfortable communicating electronically with people from other countries or cultures than I thought I would have before participating in this Global Module.
Strongly Agree – 42.1%
Agree – 52.6%
Disagree – 5.3%
12. I believe that I will now feel more comfortable communicating face to face with people from other countries or cultures because of my participating in this Global Module.
Strong Agree – 34.2%
Agree – 57.9%
Disagree – 7.9%

No comments: